Evacuee Journal, Day 3

Heidi’s parents are in Fort Smith, Arkansas. That’s a major item off of our worry list.

Yesterday we had heard that Rick and Joyce had called their friends in St. Louis and told them that they’d be there last night. What we didn’t know until this morning is that the call came from our house back in Houston. When we heard that we really started worrying.

But now we at least know they’re out of harm’s way and not stuck on some Houston freeway. Joyce is sick and saw a doctor in Fort Smith, but they plan to continue on to St. Louis when they can.

When Katrina hit, we donated our portable crib to a shelter. This afternoon we drove across Witchita to a resale shop to buy — you guessed it — a portable crib. Olivia just doesn’t do real beds yet. And in a strange place, she’s wired and not willing to go down without a fight. Our first night in Poteau, I had to sit up holding her for hours before she fell asleep deeply enough that I could put her down and walk away. Last night was less difficult, but still problematic. Now that we have a bed that doubles as a baby bucket, the sleep is back. Olivia is napping away right now.

Looks like we’re going to be spared the brunt of the storm. Our house is in a low lying area, so we’re not out of the woods yet. But with the weakening and the shifting east, we are getting the “clean” side of a category 3 rather than the “dirty” side of a category 4 or 5. Yet again, looks like we’re the fortunate ones.

Now it’s just a waiting game for us. Trying to make contacts, get news about family and friends, and trying not to worry too much.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s